Whether you are living in or just visiting Hilton Head Island, if you are a lover of art and culture, then you are in your personal paradise. With a vibrant art scene and a fantastic cultural mix, there is something for everyone in the world of art and culture in Hilton Head.
There are a dozen art galleries and studios in Hilton Head and Bluffton for those who enjoy visual art. They often host specialist exhibitions from visiting artists as well as offer open workshops for people to improve their own personal skills as they feel inspired by the rich sights and sounds of the area.
Some of the area’s resident artists include: 2010 Gullah Artist of the Year, Amiri Geuka Farris with his mix of different mediums, commenting on issues from the past right through to the future; Jason Preston – and his working pottery which gives a relaxed insight into the life of a potter, and, depending on the time of day, allows you to see a wide range of the pottery which is being produced here; and Sonja Griffin Evans is another cultural Gullah artist who bases her work around the area’s Gullah culture with an unrivaled beauty and grace.
- The Art League of Hilton Head Gallery showcases the artwork of 170 local artists and all of which is for sale.
- Camellia Art includes pieces from artists from South Carolina to California, with top quality, beautifully frames work.
- Four Corners Gallery and Fine Framing is a collector’s gallery showing artwork in oils, acrylics, clay, pencil, mixed media, and photography.
- Karis Art Gallery exhibits American contemporary artists who work with photography, sculpture, painting, art wearables, glass, pottery and fine jewellery.
- Muse Gallery Hilton Head shows work from some of the country’s best artists, with a leaning towards contemporary art on paper or sculpture.
- Red Piano Art Gallery – South Carolina’s oldest art gallery which presents the work of the country’s best artists.
- Smith Galleries was voted as the Island Packet Reader’s Choice 2013 and “Best Art Gallery” 2012.
- Society of Bluffton Artists is a group of local artists from all walks of life and all levels, and their work includes giving scholarships to local high school art students.
Dance and Performing Arts
For those who enjoy watching or participating in dance and performing arts, there is also a wide range of options:
- Arts Center of Coastal Carolina is an award winning local center for professional performances as well as outreach projects and cultural festivals.
- Hilton Head Dance School/Theatre with their world famous teachers have nearly 300 students.
- Main Street Youth Theatre
- Lean Ensemble Theatre
- May River Theatre Co, Inc., who put on a number of productions throughout the year.
People who are interested in music have options such as:
- Hilton Head Choral Society
- Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra
- The Jazz Corner Jazz Club
- The Voices of El Shaddai
For lovers of art and culture Hilton Head has a treasure trove of experiences for you to discover, for both visitors and residents. With its respectful glance to Gullah history to looking forward to a bright future, artistic expression is something that is in abundance in Hilton Head Island.